When it became known that Czar Nicholas, Emperor of Russia, might visit Chatsworth in 1844, the idea of welcoming the Czar with an even higher fountain than the one at Peterhof (the Czar’s palace in N.E. Russia), appealed to the Duke. Unfortunately the Czar never visited Chatsworth, but the new fountain was still named after him. It is on record as having reached the height of 90m (300ft). It is powered by the pressure of water dropping 122m, through a 40cm iron pipe.